The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology 香港科技大學

The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology 香港科技大學 Employee Reviews

Do not go here
PhD Candidate (Current Employee) –  Hong Kong, HKApril 24, 2019
Not a collaborative environment. Old antiquated equipment. Pay not enough to live. Not enough time off. Very little opportunity for social interactions. In spite of their website's claims, there are 90% non-international students, who are very difficult to integrate with.

This was a very frustrating time for me and I would not recommend to anyone to go there.
Time flexible
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sai Kung, New TerritoriesMarch 10, 2019
time flexible, can balance work and life, good community
Fast Pace Working Place
Postdoc Fellow (Current Employee) –  Hong KongJune 14, 2018
High efficiency and effectiveness. Most of the groups are working quite hard and overtime is so common here. Foods are great for both westerners and Chinese.
A good mix of academic and commercialization in broad technology development
Technical Marketing Director, FYTRI (Current Employee) –  Hong Kong, HKMay 6, 2018
• Established ISMP, secured Government Funding of ¥ 12.5 M (Total ¥ 25 M with FYTRI’s matching of ¥ 12.5 M) for the 1st phase platform construction and operation. Bringing international innovative Technologies to align with the China initiative of “(Made in) China 2025” (中國製造2025)
• Negotiated with Government for technology/Product development project funding of > ¥ 10 M/year for the first phase (3 years)
• Goals for the first phase: Create New Centers under ISMP platform, like Optoelectronics, BioMedical, Automotive Modules, Industrial Big Data and Industrial Artificial Intelligent (I-AI)
• Agreed with the GZ Government to negotiate on additional 2 more phases (3 year for 2nd phase, 4 years for 3rd phase) total 10 years funding at end of 1st phase
• Initiate Industrial Big Data core competence as a base to to prepare entering into Industry 4.0, and organized a 250 participants (~30% at executive level) workshop at end of Mar
• Successfully brought in Lab-on-Chip, Cancer Detection, Portable Smart Health Devices for for Biotech and BioMedical companies
• Engaged in collaboration between the newly brought-in Portable Smart Health Devices working with 2006 Nobel Laurate in Physics, Professor Smoot, for hazardous substance detectors and air purifier
• IoT for Green Energy: Combination of sensors controllers (using Ethernet/LoRa) that enables locally control LED street lights’ on-and-off by forward looking
• Brought in Companies, Teams/Talents of Southern China Industry to operate and develop other new technologies in FYTRI
• Conducting Rapid Market Assessment for existing
  more... FYTRI’s Research Divisions developments
• Mapping Product Develop demands of Industry with FYTRI Research Divisions, IoT, Advanced Material. Advanced Manufacturing, Green Building and Environment
A productive place to work
Researcher | PhD Candidate (Former Employee) –  Clear Water Bay, New TerritoriesJanuary 24, 2018
Research could be boring but not at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology. A working day is busy but it is worth it. The University promotes diversity, hence you come across different people of different nationalities. Even though working days are hectic, you still have the opportunity to find balance between work and personal life.
good work, happy life
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Kowloon, HKNovember 9, 2017
It is nice to work here, the climate is very good. and people are easy to work with. The consumption is a little expensive here. All the instrument needed is available to use regularly.
University
Student (Former Employee) –  Hong KongOctober 2, 2017
This is a university and not a company
As a university this means it is an educational place of study and not a working establishment for students anyway
lack of promotion opportunities
Instructional assistant (Former Employee) –  HKUSTSeptember 11, 2017
Friendly working environment but lack of promotion opportunities
Pros
friendly working environment
Cons
lack of promotion opportunities
Rigorous academic institution for science discovery
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clear Water Bay, New TerritoriesAugust 17, 2017
Very pure pursuit of science and truth. Nice place to hone your logic, your scientific mindset and knowledge. If you are devoting into science discovery, this is undoubtedly the best place in HK.
Peaceful place to work in
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hong KongJune 11, 2017
Once you have delivered your assignment, no one should be around to bother you much. There might have been an official policy from the HR, but the Professor's discretion is more absolute.

Each lab has its own culture. In a lab, you are managed by somebody who has not much experience in managing people and time management. So, you have to find your own role within the team and show to the professor that your role is important. But other team members, or even, your supervisor, don't even know what you have been doing in the working hours.
Pros
Free, relaxed
Cons
it's sometimes too subjective to your supervisor if you have been performing well or not
A brand new experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hong KongMay 8, 2017
Your experience will heavily depend on your surroundings and the lab you belong to. Luckily, I was able to meet one of the most wonderful teams in HKUST. While the actual work can be stressful, intense and demanding, having a great team as support lifts the burden by a tenfold.

The workload is heavy, but also comes with many opportunities to learn and challenge yourself. You are forced out of your comfort zone and propelled to perform beyond your limits. In retrospect, you will be amazed with how much you have changed in terms of work ethics and experience.
Pros
Flexibility, benefits
Cons
Occasional long hours, no OT pay
nil
Manager (Current Employee) –  Hong KongApril 24, 2017
great working culture with flexibility. Small team working so deep learning curve. Open-minded culture. Lots of learning opportunity in global landscape
Lab with exciting new research
Summer Undergraduate Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Hong KongMarch 7, 2017
Lab with advanced technology working on very exciting new research. Great staff who were all very helpful and supportive. Casual work environment, but everyone is very professional, works hard, and cares about their work.
工作地點方便
student helper (Former Employee) –  Sai Kung, New TerritoriesFebruary 20, 2017
assist in service team and projects of the Center.
Pleasant
Program Assistant at Student Development Team (Current Employee) –  Clear Water BayJune 19, 2016
Friendly management.
Large open office.
Multi-cultural team members.
with some exeption, a paper factory
Research scientist (Current Employee) –  Hong Kong, S.A.R. ChinaMay 25, 2016
most of the researchers only want to get a degree and a few paper our. there is, in the majority, little passion for science and technology. not a place for intellectually stimulating conversations.

the facility overall are not excellent but pretty good

however, there is a huge variety: some groups/individuals carry out topnotch research
I worked as a Visiting Scholar
Visiting Scholar (Former Employee) –  Clear Water Bay, New TerritoriesMarch 26, 2016
Provided opportunities to work across labs and departments. High collaboration between labs or even universities. It creates a high competitive environment which push researchers or students to have better or higher publications.
Imbalance workload but friendly colleagues and manager
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Hong KongDecember 7, 2015
It was my first internship and I did not know what to expect. It is good to make a lot of connections with the staff in my office. Most of the colleagues are friendly, my manager is also very supportive.

However, the higher level management team has established some regulations which lead to the obstacles of my job. Some period, my supervisor cannot assign task to me due to the regulations, however, lots of work are accumulated to the end and everyone ended up rushing to get things done before deadline. This shows that the upper management has not utilise human resource (which is me) to get things done.

My supervisors ended up taking up most of the tasks due to the regulations, however, originally it should be my job to finish those tasks. But it is the regulation from the upper management, my supervisors had no choice.

In general I still learnt a lot about the university regulation, admission process and procedures. I also work as a front line employee, who had to deal with students' and their parents' enquires. The whole task was similar to customer service and relationship management.
Pros
Good experience and opportunities to establish connections
Cons
Inner-department conflicts, in consistent with original job descriptiom
Valuable learning experience, great management and colleague
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Hong KongDecember 7, 2015
Dynamic work environment with great colleagues and supportive management. Skills for administration work, event planning and organising have been acquired. Although department politics and red tape appeared among different offices of the university, it is also a great learning experiencing to know how to adapt to situation when things don't go as planned. Besides, such trend is quite common among public organisation or education institution.

It was fun to work with a few colleagues who did not have previous experience in working for university department, where upholding policy, regulations and procedures are necessary. It is my pleasure to guide them during the process. I also learn a lot from the collective team work in which everyone has contributed.

My managers are like my close friends and mentors, they are willing to guide us and develop useful leadership skills and standards of working among us. I am very grateful that they are willing to provide support when we have difficulties.
Pros
Decent salary for an intern-ship
Cons
Long Working Hours, Empowerment on our team may not be recognised by other departments of the university
A perfect place for research and innovation
Postdoctoral research associate (Former Employee) –  Hong KongOctober 21, 2015
Experience at HKUST is invaluable in many senses. Over there I had a completely flexible work schedule which gives you a sense of responsibility. The management truly understands the requirements of a researcher. Typically a research personnel desires minimal distraction from administrative or other strata of the institution so that he/she can maintain the focus. This is the most important aspect that I cherished at HKUST. To complement it, I had a great set of colleagues from various part of the world and interacting with them was another piece of gem that I would like to preserve. Overall my stint at Hong Kong was unreal from the perspective of work-life balance as even the regular long hours at the laboratory was enjoyable. Burning midnight oil never bothered me as I got a unparalleled work environment to get engrossed in my project.
Pros
Vibrant work environment, no distraction
Cons
Expensive accomodation