W. L. Gore & Associates

W. L. Gore & Associates Employee Reviews

Best company I've worked for
Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Newark, DEDecember 1, 2016
They strike a great work life balance and hire smart, fun, creative individuals. As you move up there are more politics, but this is indicative of most larger firms. Very open to changing job functions and they fully support individual views and ambitions.
Productive and some times challenging
Manufacturing Associate (Former Employee) –  Elkton, MDNovember 9, 2016
Start day with work orders, cut,press,inspect, and pack product.
Work with others as team member
Management for most part fair and supportive.
Team members were fun to work with, very supportive of each other.
Working with old and out of date machines.
Everything about the job I found enjoyable and challenging at times.
Pros
Team building, celebrations.
Cons
Last minute changes, lack of communication.
Helpful and cooperation
Senior Design (Current Employee) –  Newark, DEOctober 23, 2016
WL Gore has been a tremendous sponsor for our senior design. From being able and willing to meet with us regularly, to giving us all the resources we need to succeed.
Not the culture you hear about
Quality Assurance Associate (Current Employee) –  Elkton, MDOctober 14, 2016
I typically get the following response from people when I say I work for Gore....I heard that is a great place to work...my response is always, yeah, I heard that too. In reality, not so much.
Cons
horrible leaders, poor business decisions, very clickish
Employee Appreciation
cleanroom operator (Current Employee) –  Wall, NJOctober 10, 2016
excellent people and place to work with a strong work culture. You,re able to grow and give ideas to further help company grow
Fun and exciting place to work
New product development and project leader (Current Employee) –  LivingstonSeptember 20, 2016
Plenty of personal development opportunities. Provided the ability to transfer commitments within the same company.

An almost unique culture that encourages associates to make their own commitments but they had better deliver on them as they will be held accountable.

A laid back working environment but the company do expect a lot of the asociates
Lots of change - good or bad?
Compensation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Newark, DEAugust 31, 2016
Gore sales revenue has been flat and profit declining for many years. Senior leadership at the enterprise level lacks a vision and lacks the skills to coordinate a multi-division, global company. Base material used in 99% of products is environmentally persistent. Recent change to Board Chairman is now third generation Gore family member.
Pros
Addition of former DuPont executive = professional management.
Cons
Human resources group has been empowered broadly = incompetent people driving change, process engineer is the enterprise HR leader, go figure.
productive and great place to work
Production Operator (Current Employee) –  LivingstonAugust 30, 2016
great people to work with. challenging and rewarding work. always busy , great benefits including holidays. Great environment and location, good canteen.
Pros
shares and bupa cover
Great work life balance and great people to work with.
Quality Engineer (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 27, 2016
Gore provides a great work life balance. This is a very innovative company and you work with really great people. I would recommend this company.
I enjoyed my work there
Laboratory Technician, Fabrics Division (Former Employee) –  Elkton, MDAugust 25, 2016
The stated culture was not practiced and I was told that that was only in the fabrics division where I worked. when I employed the culture I was reprimanded.
Pros
creating a good product
Cons
culture was not followed
Logistics Associate (Former Employee) –  Elkton MDAugust 23, 2016
Loved working there ! It was not like I was going to "work" each day. Culture provided all associates equal footing and one was in control of his/her own destiny.
Pros
Great people to work with, you were in control of your own destiny.
Cons
None really
Broken Culture but still has it's perks.
Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZJuly 22, 2016
Every work area and building is different and tends to govern themselves for the most part. Inconsistencies with work and cultural practices are very common and can be frustrating on a day to day basis.

Manufacturing operators work in clean rooms with full or partial gowns. The day starts with a brief cross shift meeting and a work station cleaning. Standard Operating Procedures are followed to construct and/or inspect product. Goals are set for the shift which need to be met by end of shift. Meetings are very common and are often intrusive with meeting daily goals.

You learn a great deal about the products and procedural documents are constantly being updated. You never really stop learning and relearning processes which can be frustrating due to constant change. Overall, the work is very monotonous. I often lost track of time and dates because the days just blurred together. You will also be pushed to take on more responsibilities without a guarantee of compensation.

Proper cultural practices are pushed on you constantly. I felt the culture was not fully understood by leaders who preached it or that they had there own interpretation that deviated from it's original concept. Basically, the culture was broken and misunderstood. Personally I felt the need to abolish the culture all together and start fresh.

Overall Gore is a good place to work. I learned a lot about business and production flow. It's pretty decent pay for the work but it's not without it's downsides when it comes to day to day work life. Some associates are perfectly content while others just endure
  more... because it's Gore, it's best job you can have....  less
Pros
Great healthcare, dental, vision, 401k and ESOP
Cons
Broken culture, compensation not guaranteed, monotonous work
The good old days, were
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Elkton, MdJuly 17, 2016
Gore has some unbelievable technology. Manufacturing processes are inefficient and their is little to no commitment invest in fixing this. The so-called culture was once a strength of the company. Today, the same words are being used to speak of corporate values however leadership twists these words to fit their desire rather than aligning plans and acceptable behaviors to the documented definitions. HR policies exist, but are not available to anyone except HR. Policies are only used when a leader goes to HR and together they bait a trap for an employee who never had any idea any such secret policy existed. There are now new secret 'waterline' groups who make employment decisions using these secret policies to guide them toward 'consistency'. This has developed into an environment of fear and mistrust from what had been a very trusting, engaging environment that foster great innovation.
Pros
Talented employees, pleasant working conditions
Cons
Mistrust, secret committees, secret policies, lack of transparency
Associate Review
Associate (Current Employee) –  Elkton, MDJuly 16, 2016
W.L. Gore and Associates, Inc is an innovative, technology and science based materials manufacturing company focused on medical devices, fabrics and performance solutions. Most notably known in the consumer materials market for GoreTEX. The company has been on the Forbes list of "Best Places to Work" for many years. Gore promotes it culture and how there are not rigid levels of corporate management in place. The company has a good work/life balance and there are also several inter-company sports leagues used as ways to network among associates. The base pay is lower than other comparable companies, because your receive a yearly allotment of employee owned stock that they include in your overall compensation. The healthcare benefits out of pocket expenses are slightly lower than comparable companies, however they continue to increase that amount each year.
Pros
Work/life balance, healthcare benefits have low premium/deductible
Cons
Too much middle management, that have lead the company astray from the original founder's goals and ideals
Ok if you work support but not otherwise.
Medical Device Assembler/Operator (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 12, 2016
No review twenty words minimum is not acceptable, as with any job there is good and bad. I do not think it is fair to the company or the public to expect a review.
Great leadership and great working atmosphere.
Collection Specialist Associate (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZJune 23, 2016
Great place to work. This company has a great culture. Lots of team players to help you out when you first come on board. Management was fantastic.

Work schedules were fantastic for family life. Co-workers were great. I learned a lot on how important it was to be part of a team in order for the company to succeed.

This company always did what was right for their employees.
Pros
Great benefits and time off. Everyone was always respectful to one another.
Cons
non
Best Place to work
Reception, , Procedure Review Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZJune 20, 2016
during my 6 years of working here was a learning experience. It was one of the best places I had work. I loved to work there.
Great opportunity
machine operator (Current Employee) –  New Garden, PAJune 6, 2016
I am enjoying the job with the Gore team. But my stay is coming to an end with my temporary anniversary arriving in July. i wish i could of been hired on as a full time employee.
Good manufacturing job for someone just out of high school
Temporary Associate (Contract) (Former Employee) –  New Garden, PAMay 17, 2016
My position was a temporary associate position. This means that I worked for Gore without actually working for Gore. The pay was good, but sometimes it felt that the chance of actually going "full-time" with Gore was very slim. Even if they like you they sometimes string you along. That's about it for negatives. Gore is a great place to work. Pay is not bad for a temporary position. Overall morale is very good. The people you work with are nice and if there are any issues they can usually be sorted out pretty easily. Sometimes it can feel like people can form their own little cliques, but many are more than willing to be open with you.
Pros
Good Breaks, Good communication with leaders
Cons
Somewhat difficult to get into the company, high reliance on temporary employees
Amazing Company
Medical Manufacturer (Current Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZMay 15, 2016
Amazing company! Everything from thee staff to the actual job, was beyond my expectations! I would highly recommend WL Gore and Associates to anyone!