hibu Employee Reviews

Company that went under for a very good reason.
Web Editor (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAApril 1, 2015
Poor management, harsh supervision, and no guidance makes hibu one of the worst places I've ever worked. I drove about two hours round-trip to be told there was little to no work. I was laid off with an impressive severance package - the best thing to come out of the job.
Pros
Paid me extremely well.
Cons
We were lied to about how long the company would be in business, overall a terrible place to work.
A hotbed of paranoia
Customer Operations Executive (Current Employee) –  ReadingJuly 22, 2014
Ham fisted management is bleeding this company dry! Cuts are made across the board on what seems like an annual basis, with many longstanding experienced staff turfed out. Each time they realise that they made too great a cut and have to hire temporary workers with less experience to fill the roles they hacked at.

Department managers like to promote a blame culture and regularly go on witch-hunts amongst floor staff to justify their roles, which mainly consist of taking meetings about meetings. Productivity is low due to the number of productivity reports bullied staff have to submit on a daily basis, with morale even lower due to high daily targets, resulting in substandard work.

The company operates on a 'face-fits' basis, with fools and donkeys fast-tracked to management status, while hardworking staff with talent and passion are overlooked.

A clanking dinosaur that got left behind, the company rebranded from Yell to Hibu, little realising that the name is Japanese slang for 'genitals.' Which just about sums up my experience of this company.
Pros
a masterclass in how not to run a company, comedy on an hourly basis
Cons
management style and treatment of staff modelled on guantanamo bay.
No rewards for hard work
Outside Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 30, 2015
I worked for this company years ago, then came back. In comparison, they used to a good job in the industry. Now they do a lot of things, just not very well. We had to sell many products, on a one call sale and close. Ridiculous. Many customers did not even understand the products that they were being forced to purchase.

I was told no overnight travel. Not the case. I put in many 18 hour days to get to may markets, as I had responsibilities at home.
Pros
good experience for new sales people
Cons
pay, no reimbursemnts for travel (car expsenses), bad work/life balance
Great place to work good. Income reflects effort.
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Tigard, ORMarch 11, 2015
I worked here for nearly 13 years. I would go back. The culture was a ton of fun. I learned a ton about lots of different industries. The tools provided to the sales team are the best I've ever had. Life work balance was difficult for me, but then I was an over achiever.
Progressive company - boldly reinventing itself as technology changes.
Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, COJune 22, 2014
hibu - formerly Yellow Book has always been a progressive - growth minded company. They treated their people fair, offered very good salary and benefit packages, and certainly allowed for lots of fun celebrations and reward type events for their successful sales teams. As an employee, one had to be flexible and adaptive to a fast and ever changing culture, and with the changes in the products and services being offered, as the company was transforming itself from print directory to a digital multi-marketing firm. We definitely had to learn as we went through many trial and error phases of this transition, and often without the benefit of unified, well defined job duties and expectations for the support staff. I always had a great group of people that I worked with from management to sales and support staff. The hardest part for me as the company was equipping and preparing the sales people to become self sustaining and virtual, was the ongoing threat of being phased out in my position, and laid off and also the absolute isolation in my position. I was often the only person in the office for the majority of my work week when in the beginning there was always daily interaction with the sales people and the managers. The most enjoyable part of the job was either when I was able to help/teach/train people, or when I was able to utilize my creative ability toward a project, or to be given a task and the freedom to run with it.
Pros
progressive, challenging, always learning
Cons
multiple large scale lay-offs over a period of years, no sense of job security
hibu
New Business Development (Former Employee) –  PhiladelphiaDecember 7, 2014
Hibu provides world class training and on-going training throughout the year. It feels like corporate gives you all the tools to succeed.

Management encouraged team comrade even though all the reps worked remote from their home offices. I appreciated minimizing unnecessary meetings so they were kept to webinars and phone calls.

You will thrive if you can work alone and are self motivated.
If you do your work and turn in results managers are hands off and I liked that.
Pros
you run your business as your own. hands off managers are the best!
Cons
back office having difficulty handling procesing orders and billing, customer service incompetence killed sales!
Fun place to work with a good work culture
Content Writer for the US branch of hibu websites (Current Employee) –  Bangalore and USMarch 22, 2015
A typical day at hibu would start at 7:00am IST and end at 5:00pm IST. With a good work culture and good co-workers the day seemed like a walk in the park inspite of multiple challenges.
Pros
early morning shift
Cons
tight deadlines
Quickly declining
Manager (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAAugust 17, 2014
Too many costly mistakes by senior leadership have caused hibu to decline rapidly. No long-term hope for print or digital products. Print will obviously be gone within a few years and hibu's digital products are a complete failure. Don't expect any part of hibu to survive.
Pros
some good colleagues
Cons
leadership, culture, job security, products
Account Manager
ACCOUNT MANAGER /DIGITAL MEDIA SALES (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 3, 2015
Working from home, tenured account managers are responsible for 150 - 200 clients who have contracted either Yellow Book or Hibu for advertising services. The account manager runs their own business with corporate sales and retention goals in a nearly autonomous environment.

To be successful, an AM must schedule eight to 12 appointments with existing accounts and four or five new client meetings per week. The AM must close four or five existing clients for another year every week and retain 80% of the previous year's dollar volume. But, the AM must also increase their overall sales dollar volume by at least 10%. To increase sales, the successful AM needs to secure at least nine new accounts per quarter for advertising services and meet the required dollar volume. AMs must sell at least twelve business websites per quarter. The company supplies commercially generated sales leads, but AMs must cold-call, network, and seek referrals to find enough prospects. Finding new prospects is one of the hardest part of the job. AMs are responsible to design and provide text and graphics for the new websites. This is very challenging and time-consuming. It can be frustrating with the sales and technical support based in India and the Philippines.

Building relationships with clients is the most satisfying part of the job. Hibu offers products that can produce a good ROI when sold and designed effectively. The AM is responsible to design, budget, and sell the appropriate mix of products to each client. Satisfied clients can provide great feedback and give the AM a sense of accomplishment.
  more...

The most enjoyable part of this job can be building mutually-supportive relationships with one's peers. Being successful requires being supported by your peers and supporting them in return. Managers are stretched very thin, and generally not well-versed in the constantly changing product line-up. Managers are sales-drivers, who must enforce unattainable sales goals. Some recommend questionable sales tactics in misguided attempts to meet goals. Nobody meets them all, there are too many metrics, some of them conflicting. So, nearly all AMs are always performing below expectations. Most AMs will not last, much less be successful, without supportive peer relationships. There is very high turnover among sales and first line management. The pressure for new sales is indescribable. Unfortunately, high turnover precludes most peer relationships from being long-term. I saw sixteen Account Managers and three Assistant Sales Managers fired for not meeting expectations in a twelve-person sales office in 2 years.
Pros
good earning potential.
Cons
long hours, ineffective training, unrealistic sales goals, high-pressure management
Good Job. Decent earning potential. But Poor Management.
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAOctober 10, 2013
Decent earning potential. This company promotes people that succeed but do not rock the boat or suggest any new ideas that aren't congruent with upper managements vision. If you do your work well and work hard you can make decent money here but don't plan on being able to move up the ladder because things are set in stone and it does not move as fluid as it should.
Productive fun to work
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXApril 30, 2015
Meeting people everyday , developing relationships with current and existing customers. Managing accounts, hard working management. Co-workers getting along with everyone. enjoying getting out and networking with people.
A paycheck
Hibu/Yellow Book Client Services Consultant (Former Employee) –  Williamsport, PANovember 19, 2014
Management has it's reasons. I am moving on.
Leave home between 5am and 8 depending on the market being worked. Home between 3:30pm and 8.
I have been updated on the workings of the internet, constant diligence is required to stay up to date. My local manager was great, my co workers were awesome. The hardest part of the job was to sell the product and then have the back office screw things up. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to meet with the different business people and try and help them connect with their market place.
Cons
no plan
Always waiting for another change
Website Consultant (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJuly 20, 2015
Change can be good in an organization, but constant change creates chaos and an unhealthy atmosphere. The sales department runs the company and if you're not in sales, you're sort of second in line for everything.
Excellent training and Managmentent
Telesales Manager (Current Employee) –  GlasgowAugust 19, 2014
Manage team up to 15 sales people
Develop skill set through coaching.
Motivate through understanding the person and setting stretching goals.
Drive performance and drive the team to be successful.
Provide forecasts to senior management.
Create and deploy training events for site and national roll out.
Be commercially aware through foreseeing issues and lulls in performance.
Manager development program to help sales consultants move from telesales to premise/management.
Deputy while in new business attending conference calls, Managing managers, Managing departments and national communication.
Conducting investigations, disciplinary and managing through redundancies.
has been a great experience for me always.
Web/Graphics Designer (Former Employee) –  karnatakaApril 27, 2014
Co-workers always i have found fantastic.
some time work time might be hectic but overall enjoyable
i have learned a lot like, how to manage your time, how to behave and be in corporate times.
And many more ..
Pros
loife-learnings, dicipline, lunches like some benifits
Cons
seriouly long hours sometimes ..
Very motivating manager, great bonus incentives, excellent benefits
Media Consultant (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAMarch 3, 2015
My typical day currently- I try to get to at least 15 new doors a day. Generally, I should have about 2 appointments. I am a network marketer and belong to a few groups. Each week I have at least 2 group meetings I attend.

I learn something new everyday! I love the co-workers I have left, including the manager- She is awesome!

The hardest part of the job is you have to rebuild the wheel every month. It's all about NEW business consistently. Also, there's some things completely out of control when it comes to the website building or campaign managing. This causes problems and cancellations you can do nothing about.

The most enjoyable part of the job is what we are capable of doing for a business to make them profitable and successful without spending an absorbent amount of money.
Pros
bonus opportunities are endless!
Cons
very hard work and persistence
Final Demand Write Off Specialist (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAFebruary 12, 2014
I would review and write off accounts to the collection agency. I would also keep contact with internal and external clients. I would follow up with the sales force when an account was being placed with the collection agency. I would submit discrepancies to billing to reapply funds, remove late fees or billing charges, and refund money due to clients. I would make collection calls, set up payment plans or offer settlements for the client.

I enjoyed my co-workers. We worked as a team and were encouraged by management to work as a team.

The hardest part of the job was trying to show empathy while trying to maintain a client in house and not being sent to a collection agency.

Most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction when I could save a client from being placed with the collection agency. Even though it was my job to place the client with the agency it was always a good feeling to save that one account.
great place to work
WEBSITE EDITOR (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IowaMay 14, 2014
A typical day at work was reading what a customer would like to have for a website and then putting together a website that would accurately portray what the customer was looking for. I learned a great deal about copywriting and SEO. The management was fantastic in helping with any questions that may arise. My co-workers were also very helpful. The hardest part of the job was that from day to day you may have to learn on the fly, but this was done with great determination. The most enjoyable part of the job was the great experiences that I took from the overall job.
Pros
come in early on friday and leave early on friday
Cons
no cons
Poorly Run....No Truth in Advertising.
CSR (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaApril 7, 2014
There are ,many "Great place", reviews by "FORMER" employees....if it was so great why did you leave?
Typical sales cycle..."sell print", oh wait that doesn't work...sell "weforia" oh wait...that didn't launch, "sell websites", oh wait...we have a terrible platform, "sell direct mail", oh wait..too late too costly, Sell SEO...it's the greatest, oh wait...terrible results..."sell SEM" yeah that's it! we're a digital company ...two steps behind everyone else and twice as costly...but hey, we're a Google premiere partner!! so we'll charge twice as much, give you half the results but give you a 25% discount! All right!! let's go get rich...stealing from SMB's!!
Pros
base salry for about 6 months without doing a thing
Cons
that same base salary
Emerging Force In Digital Business Services
Client Service Representative (Current Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAJuly 23, 2013
hibu is a company in transition; formerly Yellowbook, the company has taken great strides to transform in recent months. The experience at hibu for Client Service Representatives is a rigorous one; requisite to success--one must possess exceptional sales abilities. The company does provide opportunity for growth and the majority of the organization's management and leadership are seasoned field agents. The most demanding aspect of a position at hibu is--for some--the pressure inherent with tangible sales objectives and retention of earned revenue. For those willing to adapt, deliever consistent new client revenue, and strive for excellence, hibu is the ideal workplace, offering truly unlimited earning potential, especially for digital products and services, and a flexible work environment that is unmatched.
Pros
freedom, flexibility, and financial potential
Cons
freedom, flexibility, and financial potential