hibu Employee Reviews

High stress, minimal to zero reward and compensation
Web Content Writer / Editor (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAAugust 20, 2014
During my time at the company I developed new training materials, edited new style guides, personally piloted products before they were launched globally, created audit procedures and provided direct feedback to employees based on their production capabilities, writing, and customer communication methods.

Despite this, in the over 2 years of employment with the company, there was no room for growth, and very minimal compensation. I frequently did the work of multiple people at once, managers included, though my compensation (and treatment from anyone in management or other departments) did not reflect that I was anything but another entry-level employee.

Additionally, extreme responsibility was placed upon me due to this, which placed me in extremely uncomfortable situations. In many instances I was given responsibility over my coworkers, though I was in their exact same position with no true, definitive authority.

It was a job taken out of convenience - and it was good for that at the time - though I would not recommend it to anyone that has the ability to remain selective of their employer.
great place to learn and grow!
Copywriter/Voice-Over Specialist (Current Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAApril 28, 2016
Hibu was a good place to work, it was both a competitive and enjoyable environment. As a voice artist i was able to develop my skill as well as others.
Pros
Creative Work Environment, Challenging tasks, Pay
Cons
Healthcare, PTO, Management
Churn and burn sales force
Business Development Rep (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, WAOctober 15, 2014
Decent company, good pay, good benefits. Completely unrealistic sales goals for the Seattle area. The Area Manager is great to work for and is there whenever you need. The hardest part of the job is the cold calling and quotas.

Hibu is not great at taking care of their customers. You never talk to the same person twice. Most of my clients have not continued with their services.
Pros
pay, benefits, management
Cons
customer service, quotas, cold calling
Excellent
PUBLICATION MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Redford, MIApril 5, 2016
I worked from home to manage 7 community magazines, providing 16 pages of content by finding community contributors and coaching them to write articles and send pictures. The job paid well and required about 50-60 hours per week, sometimes including going to meet with people in the communities.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with the computer problems which made the tasks take longer than they should have.

The most enjoyable part was interviewing people and writing their stories and hearing from them how much they liked the results.
Pros
Doing what I was created for: writing, editing, schmoozing with people
Cons
Computer glitches
Extremely Busy Internal IT Service Desk
Technology Service Desk Analyst (Current Employee) –  ReadingSeptember 6, 2013
Provided technical support for all manner of technical faults ranging from application errors and access issues to general windows and pc hardware support to company employees mainly in UK as part of a 15 man team.
Used Remedy ticket logging system to document all record all activity and communication with employees over telephone and email in accordance with agreed processes.
Used analytical and troubleshooting skills to diagnose and detect faults. If human error and solution already known, advise of solution/resolution. If solution not immediately known, then research knowledge base, query with peers/ 2nd line support, before deciding whether to escalate.
Gained extensive knowledge of where to escalate to the correct areas of the technology department.
The hardest part of the job is handling the large call volumes when a major incident occurs, and dealing with the occasional irate and frustrated user.
Analysing, understanding and working out a resolution to complicated issues is the most rewarding part of the role.
Pros
Good salary, benefits
Cons
No free car parking
26 career with this Company-Overall great employer-Traveling long distances has increased
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IA-Work markets Florida & GeorgiaFebruary 14, 2016
Travel to Market area-meeting with set appointments. Presenting products & closing, cold calling & setting new appointments. Sending reports to management. Helping customers with product related issues. Have great relationships with other reps. Traveling greater distances in past couple of years and taking on other representatives customers along with existing accounts has been the greatest challenge. The long lasting relationships that I have with customers over the past 26 years is the most enjoyable.
Best people I've ever worked with!
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IASeptember 2, 2014
The people I work with there are hands down the best people I've ever worked with. The culture of hibu is great, however unreachable goals, constant cuts in the building, and the growing field of everyone and their brother knowing how to make a "website" has hurt.
Pros
Great bosses, at least the ones you'll talk too.
Cons
Poor compensation for work put in and constant reminders of yellowbook's past
A Ferocious Cycle of maintaining mediocrity
New Media Specialist (Current Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAJanuary 21, 2016
Work at hibu is very routine. Learning the systems a work flow can be challenge with the company always in flux. The works try their best to work with what is provided, however there is no set structure or proper work flow which leads to improvising. This however allows you to find ways to manage with what you have provided. The workers themselves are hard working, but with out proper leadership and job security, everyone is is struggling to stay relevant and not finding solutions to better the company.
Pros
Coworkers, Bi-weekly pay
Cons
Disorder, Lack of job security, Short breaks, Lack of Leadership
has been a great experience for me always.
Web/Graphics Designer (Former Employee) –  karnatakaApril 27, 2014
Co-workers always i have found fantastic.
some time work time might be hectic but overall enjoyable
i have learned a lot like, how to manage your time, how to behave and be in corporate times.
And many more ..
Pros
loife-learnings, dicipline, lunches like some benifits
Cons
seriouly long hours sometimes ..
Autonomy & Good Benefits
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 27, 2016
Working at Hibu I learned a lot about sales, digital marketing and working with small to medium size businesses.

I had the chance to work with diverse set of employees and business owners.
Great company to start with
Digital Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAApril 19, 2016
Great company to start with, however it is tough work. It is not an easy job because you deal with rejection all day. They could have better sales methods.
Pros
company culture
Cons
pay, monotonous work
Good resume builder
CSR (Former Employee) –  Kansas CityJune 12, 2013
They are in a financial mess and one of the reasons is they pay well..lol. But if you can"t go at least 4 hours a day selling NEW accounts then move on. Their Print directory is all but gone and their online stuff is good but get ready to hit the unemployment line after about 6 months if you don"t sell NEW accounts.
Pros
Good pay/benefits
Cons
Print going away and pressure to sell NEW accounts.
Decent place to work
Manager Leads (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAMarch 24, 2016
Good company until the economy changed making it harder to get small businesses to advertise. My management was good. The my direct reports were hard working, reliable people. Their work ethic was good. The overall department work together well as a team all seeking to reach a common goal.
Work/life balance is good
Account Manager / Senior Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Novi, MINovember 6, 2015
Fine place to work. Have worked here more than 12 years. Work/life balance is flexible. Income is good. Job security has improved.
Pros
Work/life balance
Cons
Upper management
publication manager sad to see the job go
Publication Manager, Editor (Former Employee) –  Panama City Beach, FLMay 5, 2014
The company's leadership tried to create magazines that engage3d customers and communities. Publication managers were given complete control of their own content. Sales representatives complained about low compensation and I believe this is what led to the division shutting down last month.
Interesting Products
Business Development Regional Representative (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAApril 19, 2016
This company made prpomises they couldn't deliver and are going through bankruptcy. in 1 year all the reps in my territory quit or were let go besides me. I chose to leave to make a move to work for Nexus and GM
Pros
Freedom
Cons
Lack of substantial infrastructure for managers and bdm's
Good place to work must be willing to work hard.
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Uniondale, NYAugust 18, 2014
Good place to work, but hard work. Yellowpages is getting harder to sell to new clients and many existing clients are cancelling. They have a good digital product line.
Pros
Good benefits, good earning potential
Cons
too much competition with product line and unrealistic objectives
Great Company
Digital Media Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 7, 2014
This is one of the best companies I have ever worked with. They offer great pay and benefits and really care about their employees. Sales jobs are always a little stressful but they offer a lot of coaching and training to help you be successful
Pros
almost everything
Cons
sitting at a computer the whole day
Good Place to work
Business Development Rep (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMay 13, 2014
Its a great place to work if you are technelogically savvy. Management is very helpful.
Pros
Fun Place with great benefits and pays wonderfully
Cons
No real Structure
Progressive company - boldly reinventing itself as technology changes.
Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, COJune 22, 2014
hibu - formerly Yellow Book has always been a progressive - growth minded company. They treated their people fair, offered very good salary and benefit packages, and certainly allowed for lots of fun celebrations and reward type events for their successful sales teams. As an employee, one had to be flexible and adaptive to a fast and ever changing culture, and with the changes in the products and services being offered, as the company was transforming itself from print directory to a digital multi-marketing firm. We definitely had to learn as we went through many trial and error phases of this transition, and often without the benefit of unified, well defined job duties and expectations for the support staff. I always had a great group of people that I worked with from management to sales and support staff. The hardest part for me as the company was equipping and preparing the sales people to become self sustaining and virtual, was the ongoing threat of being phased out in my position, and laid off and also the absolute isolation in my position. I was often the only person in the office for the majority of my work week when in the beginning there was always daily interaction with the sales people and the managers. The most enjoyable part of the job was either when I was able to help/teach/train people, or when I was able to utilize my creative ability toward a project, or to be given a task and the freedom to run with it.
Pros
progressive, challenging, always learning
Cons
multiple large scale lay-offs over a period of years, no sense of job security

2.5