hibu Employee Reviews

Work-life balance atmosphere
Business Development Representative (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 18, 2015
I am in charge of making my own scheduled, managing production and customers. I have learned had to work under pressure, justify ROI, and be a team leader. I love my manager and co-workers. The hardest part of the job are fixing production mistakes. I love my freedom and making my own ours with HIBU
Productive fun to work
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXApril 30, 2015
Meeting people everyday , developing relationships with current and existing customers. Managing accounts, hard working management. Co-workers getting along with everyone. enjoying getting out and networking with people.
Sell No Matter if It Can't Be Serviced
Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAApril 9, 2015
They cannot fulfill the orders reps sold.
When clients would cancel due to poor service, the reps lost their commissions.
Sales reps have to spend time saving clients from poor customer service in order to save their own commission and reputation.
Pros
Great Sales Training
Cons
Very Poor Customer Service
Place to enjoy your and office atomsphere with fun activties and festival Celebrations and very friendly management
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Bangalore, KAApril 9, 2015
HIBU is a worldwide organization, working without boundaries; organizing have been designing, creating and fulfilling high volumes of display ads, as well as pagination services for printed classified directories for over 30 years
Company that went under for a very good reason.
Web Editor (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAApril 1, 2015
Poor management, harsh supervision, and no guidance makes hibu one of the worst places I've ever worked. I drove about two hours round-trip to be told there was little to no work. I was laid off with an impressive severance package - the best thing to come out of the job.
Pros
Paid me extremely well.
Cons
We were lied to about how long the company would be in business, overall a terrible place to work.
Productive and fun work environment
Web Consultant Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMarch 30, 2015
Consult with clients and gather information necessary to build a web presence. There are different shifts from early morning to afternoon to suit your lifestyle. All of my co-workers are fun and helpful. Everyone helps each other out.
Fun place to work with a good work culture
Content Writer for the US branch of hibu websites (Current Employee) –  Bangalore and USMarch 22, 2015
A typical day at hibu would start at 7:00am IST and end at 5:00pm IST. With a good work culture and good co-workers the day seemed like a walk in the park inspite of multiple challenges.
Pros
early morning shift
Cons
tight deadlines
Great place to work good. Income reflects effort.
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Tigard, ORMarch 11, 2015
I worked here for nearly 13 years. I would go back. The culture was a ton of fun. I learned a ton about lots of different industries. The tools provided to the sales team are the best I've ever had. Life work balance was difficult for me, but then I was an over achiever.
Big earning opportunities, Exciting Role, Slightly Corrupt
Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  BelfastMarch 6, 2015
I absolutely loved Yell until Hibu took over. Now it is just another call centre. The bonus scheme was amazing, I earned thousands every month. The place was always buzzing. The achievements and recognition were great.

The sad thing about call centres is that all good things must come to an end. Incentives became rare, achievements and recognition were never consistent, and the bonus scheme has constantly decreased as Hibu took over.

I learned a lot in my time at Yell in terms of top quality sales skills, advertising and marketing knowledge. But because of the role itself, speaking to thousands of different types of businesses and their plans to grow or maintain I also gained knowledge on almost every business out there. For me that was exciting, gaining vast amount of knowledge and tailoring specific packages to that customers needs and knowing you were doing a good job.
Pros
great earning potential, exciting role, good for development.
Cons
tight nit groups, hibu in an unstable position.
Not sure who they are going to be
Business Development Rep (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMarch 4, 2015
Changing company hasnt quite figured out what they are going to be. Great tools for selling provided, but support is limited
Very motivating manager, great bonus incentives, excellent benefits
Media Consultant (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAMarch 3, 2015
My typical day currently- I try to get to at least 15 new doors a day. Generally, I should have about 2 appointments. I am a network marketer and belong to a few groups. Each week I have at least 2 group meetings I attend.

I learn something new everyday! I love the co-workers I have left, including the manager- She is awesome!

The hardest part of the job is you have to rebuild the wheel every month. It's all about NEW business consistently. Also, there's some things completely out of control when it comes to the website building or campaign managing. This causes problems and cancellations you can do nothing about.

The most enjoyable part of the job is what we are capable of doing for a business to make them profitable and successful without spending an absorbent amount of money.
Pros
bonus opportunities are endless!
Cons
very hard work and persistence
Overall positive experience with some drawbacks
Web Content Writer (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAFebruary 26, 2015
Excellent, supportive supervisors. Tendency of upper management towards overall ignorance regarding the daily goings-on and to prioritize profits over all. Not bad culture-wise, even if sales gets all the perks and incentives. Diversity and creativity are valued. Layoffs do happen. Pay just OK.
Pros
fairly flexible pto policy, excellent benefits, positive, diverse culture.
Cons
corporate ignorance of daily operations, lots of turnover at the upper echelons, tendency to favor sales over all other departments.
To be a leader and stay strong in an industry, you must market and brand to stand out!
Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  Montana, Idaho, WashingtonFebruary 20, 2015
As a Hibu sales rep, there are multi facets of on-line education in digital marketing, as well as having basic graphic arts experience, researching your client and their competition to create an effective campaign is imperative to success. Effectively assisted each client in creating a budget campaign that would benefit them the most. Scheduled webinars with corporate graphic designers to create design hands on, giving input and direction. Monitored clients campaign results and made adjustments as needed, depending on the high or low times of the business year, or the market wave. Managed an efficient travel route and flow to visit all of my clients and prospective clients in 3 states. Was top print retention sales person out of 11. CRM records and completing daily and weekly sales reports and web mtgs multiple times a week were part of our regiment. Memorizing multiple sales codes and variations in products was key in presenting a package to each client. Client preparation was extensive and very accurate. I loved my clients, my team and my manager. The down fall was that my manager was demoted and the new manager was a horrible leader.
Pros
flexible schedule, travel, use my creativity and knowledge of marketing
Cons
poor management, inconsistent results of production at our graphic head office
Great Place to work - too bad they had cutbacks
Oracle, SQL Server, Netezza DBA (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAFebruary 19, 2015
I had a pleasure working with an excellent team. Immediate management was excellent, Too much change at the executive level.
Pros
only had to come in a couple times a week
Cons
company downsizing
Account Manager
ACCOUNT MANAGER /DIGITAL MEDIA SALES (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 3, 2015
Working from home, tenured account managers are responsible for 150 - 200 clients who have contracted either Yellow Book or Hibu for advertising services. The account manager runs their own business with corporate sales and retention goals in a nearly autonomous environment.

To be successful, an AM must schedule eight to 12 appointments with existing accounts and four or five new client meetings per week. The AM must close four or five existing clients for another year every week and retain 80% of the previous year's dollar volume. But, the AM must also increase their overall sales dollar volume by at least 10%. To increase sales, the successful AM needs to secure at least nine new accounts per quarter for advertising services and meet the required dollar volume. AMs must sell at least twelve business websites per quarter. The company supplies commercially generated sales leads, but AMs must cold-call, network, and seek referrals to find enough prospects. Finding new prospects is one of the hardest part of the job. AMs are responsible to design and provide text and graphics for the new websites. This is very challenging and time-consuming. It can be frustrating with the sales and technical support based in India and the Philippines.

Building relationships with clients is the most satisfying part of the job. Hibu offers products that can produce a good ROI when sold and designed effectively. The AM is responsible to design, budget, and sell the appropriate mix of products to each client. Satisfied clients can provide great feedback and give the AM a sense of accomplishment.
  more...

The most enjoyable part of this job can be building mutually-supportive relationships with one's peers. Being successful requires being supported by your peers and supporting them in return. Managers are stretched very thin, and generally not well-versed in the constantly changing product line-up. Managers are sales-drivers, who must enforce unattainable sales goals. Some recommend questionable sales tactics in misguided attempts to meet goals. Nobody meets them all, there are too many metrics, some of them conflicting. So, nearly all AMs are always performing below expectations. Most AMs will not last, much less be successful, without supportive peer relationships. There is very high turnover among sales and first line management. The pressure for new sales is indescribable. Unfortunately, high turnover precludes most peer relationships from being long-term. I saw sixteen Account Managers and three Assistant Sales Managers fired for not meeting expectations in a twelve-person sales office in 2 years.
Pros
good earning potential.
Cons
long hours, ineffective training, unrealistic sales goals, high-pressure management
No rewards for hard work
Outside Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 30, 2015
I worked for this company years ago, then came back. In comparison, they used to a good job in the industry. Now they do a lot of things, just not very well. We had to sell many products, on a one call sale and close. Ridiculous. Many customers did not even understand the products that they were being forced to purchase.

I was told no overnight travel. Not the case. I put in many 18 hour days to get to may markets, as I had responsibilities at home.
Pros
good experience for new sales people
Cons
pay, no reimbursemnts for travel (car expsenses), bad work/life balance
Challenging Sales Environment
AM - Senior Account Executive (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 29, 2015
A typical day in the life of an Account Executive involves contacting clients by email/phone, scheduling appointments, resolving customer service issues, revising websites, monitoring online campaigns, prospecting, preparing for the sales call, closing the sale, and submitting paperwork. There is never a dull moment and always something new to learn. The company offers excellent ongoing training. The best part of this job though is finding out that you have made a difference in the life and/or financial success of a client. I have developed long-term business relationships with some amazing business owners and managers that I look forward to visiting each campaign. Working virtually, there is less face-time and contact with team members, colleagues and managers, which has its pros and cons. Love and miss working with many great U.S. employees who have been replaced with overseas representatives. This has created some unexpected challenges in communication and workflow we are learning to adjust to and accept. The company is doing it's best to replace print revenue losses with digital solutions. It seems that volume has become increasingly more important than quality, so it is up to the rep to balance both and act as a liaison between the client and company to manage expectations and satisfy customer needs.
Pros
rapidly changing environment; flexibility; great co-workers; work from home, ongoing training
Cons
outsourcing operations outside u.s.; "right-sizing" has created a sense of instability
once great company, going down hill for past few years
sales manager, sales rep (Former Employee) –  alabamaJanuary 29, 2015
I worked they for over 14 years, multiple awards, promotions etc. I walked way a few years ago because of poor decisions and sales reps were and still are looked at as a "number". Here's a few examples of some real things that happened right before I walked.1) In a digital age, they were rolling out door hangers (true story) as a new product. 2) changed the name from a national brand to "Hibu", and spent next to nothing on marketing the name. An advertising company, that doesn't advertise they new name, brilliant. 3) Oh, let's hold reps accountable for giving away free ads, yes quotas were set and jobs were on the line for reps to give away free stuff. Just Google Hibu. Anything positive said online was generated by current employees that were instructed to do so. 99% of the people that made the company great are gone. so few reps left. Upper management, Congratulations, you ran this place in the ground.
Pros
met some amazing people and mentors
Cons
poor leadership, dysfunctional
Once a month work activites
Business Development Consultant (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth TexasJanuary 29, 2015
Great place to work with team growth..it was always a team effort to reach our objective each month..
Pros
outside sales, manage break times
Cons
great health plans
My time at hibu has been an enjoyable and valuable learning experience.
Investigations and Resolutions Representative (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 26, 2015
I enjoy arriving at work early enough to greet my co-workers, start up my PC and launch all relevant programs(Outlook, Excel, Word, Internet Explorer, etc..) Throughout the day I am always prepared to take incoming calls and handle whatever concern the individual on the other side of the phone presents me. Whether it be a customer with a claim concern or a sales representative who needs assistance in deciphering their customers' monthly billing. Often, I am required to communicate with individuals in other departments to determine the cause of an error that a customer may report.

Mainly, I have learned how to quickly adapt to changes. hibu is a company that has undergone significant changes in my time there. I have improved my communication and people skills simply by interacting with such a wide variety of individuals displaying a wide variety of dispositions from very friendly and agreeable to very agitated customers who feel (right or wrong) that they have been misled, stolen from or simply misrepresented in their advertising.

Management is generally available to lend a hand if necessary. As previously mentioned, hibu is currently in a state of transition and the management structure has changed significantly since I began my employment there. Given this, I feel it would be inappropriate to judge or evaluate the management team at hibu.

The hardest part of the job -for me- is when I am genuinely attempting to assist a customer and the customer will not provide with the materials(emails between sales and customers, medical records, bills of sale, etc..) that I require.
  more... The amount of frustration that I experience when I am unable to assist a customer with a legitimate concern is significant.

On the other hand, when i can genuinely help a customer, very little pleases me greater than the feeling of a job well done.
Pros
the opportunity to assist small and medium business owners with their marketing needs.
Cons
their poor training leaves one entirely unprepared for the actual job responsibilities.

2.5