hibu Employee Reviews

Management that really cares
Business Development (Former Employee) –  Westchester, NYAugust 6, 2015
I learned a lot working here at hibu. From basic marketing knowledge to in-depth digital marketing skills, hibu is big on education. Management also gets a big thumbs up for their caring approach to leadership.
Pros
Fun environment, caring management
Great company - Digital Marketing Made Easy
Business Development - Account Executive (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAOctober 9, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. You build your own book of business. There's great sales incentives. Weekly training provided.
Company that went under for a very good reason.
Web Editor (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAApril 1, 2015
Poor management, harsh supervision, and no guidance makes hibu one of the worst places I've ever worked. I drove about two hours round-trip to be told there was little to no work. I was laid off with an impressive severance package - the best thing to come out of the job.
Pros
Paid me extremely well.
Cons
We were lied to about how long the company would be in business, overall a terrible place to work.
Work-life balance atmosphere
Business Development Representative (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 18, 2015
I am in charge of making my own scheduled, managing production and customers. I have learned had to work under pressure, justify ROI, and be a team leader. I love my manager and co-workers. The hardest part of the job are fixing production mistakes. I love my freedom and making my own ours with HIBU
Overall positive experience with some drawbacks
Web Content Writer (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAFebruary 26, 2015
Excellent, supportive supervisors. Tendency of upper management towards overall ignorance regarding the daily goings-on and to prioritize profits over all. Not bad culture-wise, even if sales gets all the perks and incentives. Diversity and creativity are valued. Layoffs do happen. Pay just OK.
Pros
Fairly flexible PTO policy, excellent benefits, positive, diverse culture.
Cons
Corporate ignorance of daily operations, lots of turnover at the upper echelons, tendency to favor sales over all other departments.
No rewards for hard work
Outside Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 30, 2015
I worked for this company years ago, then came back. In comparison, they used to a good job in the industry. Now they do a lot of things, just not very well. We had to sell many products, on a one call sale and close. Ridiculous. Many customers did not even understand the products that they were being forced to purchase.

I was told no overnight travel. Not the case. I put in many 18 hour days to get to may markets, as I had responsibilities at home.
Pros
Good experience for new sales people
Cons
Pay, no reimbursemnts for travel (car expsenses), bad work/life balance
good place to work
Digital Specialist (Current Employee) –  cedar rapidsOctober 6, 2015
good atmosphere to work in . they have great pay , commission and bonus structure. Great upper management as well . Monday thru Friday schedule is always a bonus
Place to enjoy your and office atomsphere with fun activties and festival Celebrations and very friendly management
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Bangalore, KAApril 9, 2015
HIBU is a worldwide organization, working without boundaries; organizing have been designing, creating and fulfilling high volumes of display ads, as well as pagination services for printed classified directories for over 30 years
Fun Place to Work offering Great Home and Work Life Balance
Digital Media Consultant (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 6, 2015
Great training, great people, awesome company that really offers great benefits and compensation, bonuses and more. Just a brutal time as they transition from a print company to a digital company. Job security is an uncertainty with all the new demands and customer service is suffering in light of it all. Adding additional pressure to the sales staff....operations are being outsourced overseas. I wish them the best and I am grateful for the training and the relationships I benefited from professionally.
Pros
Reinventing themselves
Cons
Financial transition of the company is brutal
Always waiting for another change
Website Consultant (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJuly 20, 2015
Change can be good in an organization, but constant change creates chaos and an unhealthy atmosphere. The sales department runs the company and if you're not in sales, you're sort of second in line for everything.
Sell No Matter if It Can't Be Serviced
Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAApril 9, 2015
They cannot fulfill the orders reps sold.
When clients would cancel due to poor service, the reps lost their commissions.
Sales reps have to spend time saving clients from poor customer service in order to save their own commission and reputation.
Pros
Great Sales Training
Cons
Very Poor Customer Service
hibu
New Business Development (Former Employee) –  PhiladelphiaDecember 7, 2014
Hibu provides world class training and on-going training throughout the year. It feels like corporate gives you all the tools to succeed.

Management encouraged team comrade even though all the reps worked remote from their home offices. I appreciated minimizing unnecessary meetings so they were kept to webinars and phone calls.

You will thrive if you can work alone and are self motivated.
If you do your work and turn in results managers are hands off and I liked that.
Pros
You run your business as your own. Hands off managers are the best!
Cons
Back office having difficulty handling procesing orders and billing, customer service incompetence killed sales!
A paycheck
Hibu/Yellow Book Client Services Consultant (Former Employee) –  Williamsport, PANovember 19, 2014
Management has it's reasons. I am moving on.
Leave home between 5am and 8 depending on the market being worked. Home between 3:30pm and 8.
I have been updated on the workings of the internet, constant diligence is required to stay up to date. My local manager was great, my co workers were awesome. The hardest part of the job was to sell the product and then have the back office screw things up. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to meet with the different business people and try and help them connect with their market place.
Pros
Cons
No plan
Churn and burn sales force
Business Development Rep (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, WAOctober 15, 2014
Decent company, good pay, good benefits. Completely unrealistic sales goals for the Seattle area. The Area Manager is great to work for and is there whenever you need. The hardest part of the job is the cold calling and quotas.

Hibu is not great at taking care of their customers. You never talk to the same person twice. Most of my clients have not continued with their services.
Pros
pay, benefits, management
Cons
customer service, quotas, cold calling
Fun place to work, but a sinking ship
Digital Media Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAOctober 9, 2014
Management picks favorites and the company is very mismanaged. They are trying to figure it out, but I think its a bit late. They had some good talent, but as they keep cutting pay and raising expectations, they are losing them faster than they can be replaced. Schedules are flexible, and it is very easy to earn extra time off.
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
the company is on a downward spiral
Excellent training and Managmentent
Telesales Manager (Current Employee) –  GlasgowAugust 19, 2014
Manage team up to 15 sales people
Develop skill set through coaching.
Motivate through understanding the person and setting stretching goals.
Drive performance and drive the team to be successful.
Provide forecasts to senior management.
Create and deploy training events for site and national roll out.
Be commercially aware through foreseeing issues and lulls in performance.
Manager development program to help sales consultants move from telesales to premise/management.
Deputy while in new business attending conference calls, Managing managers, Managing departments and national communication.
Conducting investigations, disciplinary and managing through redundancies.
Standing on Shaky Ground
Account Executive, Multi-Media (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 2, 2014
- Expect to knock on doors and make as many face-to-face contacts with decision makers as possible, and set appointments with them.
- I learned a lot about the different marketing needs of a wide variety of industries and businesses.
- Management wants constant contact and communication.
- I have worked with some of the finest and most professional sales people in the nation that have become life-long friends.
- The hardest part of the job is keeping up with constant change.
- The most enjoyable part of the job is the team building events and contests.
Pros
Virtual Office
Cons
Long hours after 5 p.m, and sometimes weekend appointments
Transforming company with passionate employees
Senior Manager - US Directory Listings (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAAugust 18, 2014
Hibu (originally Yellowbook, inc.) is transforming from primarily a print book business into a digital/web-based model. The past 2-3 years have been challenging in the form of staff reductions and data content removal; but has been necessary to continue to be successful in the future.
The people are focused and passionate about delivering a high-quality product.
great place to work
WEBSITE EDITOR (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IowaMay 14, 2014
A typical day at work was reading what a customer would like to have for a website and then putting together a website that would accurately portray what the customer was looking for. I learned a great deal about copywriting and SEO. The management was fantastic in helping with any questions that may arise. My co-workers were also very helpful. The hardest part of the job was that from day to day you may have to learn on the fly, but this was done with great determination. The most enjoyable part of the job was the great experiences that I took from the overall job.
Pros
Come in early on Friday and leave early on Friday
Cons
no cons
Productive and Hard working environment
Customer service/Accounting clerk (Former Employee) –  Uniondale, NYMay 7, 2014
Prospect new business. Ended year with over $96,000 in new business, 105% to direct mail objective, and 100% to my net gain objective.Managed a high-volume workload, Resolved an average of 520 inquiries in any given week and consistently met performance.
Specialize in creating advertising solutions for local small to medium size business. Solutions include SEO, SEM, direct mail, yellow page ads, online display, websites, Ecommerce, etc...

2.5