hibu Employee Reviews

Sell No Matter if It Can't Be Serviced
Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAApril 9, 2015
They cannot fulfill the orders reps sold.
When clients would cancel due to poor service, the reps lost their commissions.
Sales reps have to spend time saving clients from poor customer service in order to save their own commission and reputation.
Pros
Great Sales Training
Cons
Very Poor Customer Service
No rewards for hard work
Outside Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 30, 2015
I worked for this company years ago, then came back. In comparison, they used to a good job in the industry. Now they do a lot of things, just not very well. We had to sell many products, on a one call sale and close. Ridiculous. Many customers did not even understand the products that they were being forced to purchase.

I was told no overnight travel. Not the case. I put in many 18 hour days to get to may markets, as I had responsibilities at home.
Pros
good experience for new sales people
Cons
pay, no reimbursemnts for travel (car expsenses), bad work/life balance
Fun Place to Work offering Great Home and Work Life Balance
Digital Media Consultant (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 6, 2015
Great training, great people, awesome company that really offers great benefits and compensation, bonuses and more. Just a brutal time as they transition from a print company to a digital company. Job security is an uncertainty with all the new demands and customer service is suffering in light of it all. Adding additional pressure to the sales staff....operations are being outsourced overseas. I wish them the best and I am grateful for the training and the relationships I benefited from professionally.
Pros
reinventing themselves
Cons
financial transition of the company is brutal
Very motivating manager, great bonus incentives, excellent benefits
Media Consultant (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAMarch 3, 2015
My typical day currently- I try to get to at least 15 new doors a day. Generally, I should have about 2 appointments. I am a network marketer and belong to a few groups. Each week I have at least 2 group meetings I attend.

I learn something new everyday! I love the co-workers I have left, including the manager- She is awesome!

The hardest part of the job is you have to rebuild the wheel every month. It's all about NEW business consistently. Also, there's some things completely out of control when it comes to the website building or campaign managing. This causes problems and cancellations you can do nothing about.

The most enjoyable part of the job is what we are capable of doing for a business to make them profitable and successful without spending an absorbent amount of money.
Pros
bonus opportunities are endless!
Cons
very hard work and persistence
hibu
New Business Development (Former Employee) –  PhiladelphiaDecember 7, 2014
Hibu provides world class training and on-going training throughout the year. It feels like corporate gives you all the tools to succeed.

Management encouraged team comrade even though all the reps worked remote from their home offices. I appreciated minimizing unnecessary meetings so they were kept to webinars and phone calls.

You will thrive if you can work alone and are self motivated.
If you do your work and turn in results managers are hands off and I liked that.
Pros
you run your business as your own. hands off managers are the best!
Cons
back office having difficulty handling procesing orders and billing, customer service incompetence killed sales!
Great place to work good. Income reflects effort.
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Tigard, ORMarch 11, 2015
I worked here for nearly 13 years. I would go back. The culture was a ton of fun. I learned a ton about lots of different industries. The tools provided to the sales team are the best I've ever had. Life work balance was difficult for me, but then I was an over achiever.
A paycheck
Hibu/Yellow Book Client Services Consultant (Former Employee) –  Williamsport, PANovember 19, 2014
Management has it's reasons. I am moving on.
Leave home between 5am and 8 depending on the market being worked. Home between 3:30pm and 8.
I have been updated on the workings of the internet, constant diligence is required to stay up to date. My local manager was great, my co workers were awesome. The hardest part of the job was to sell the product and then have the back office screw things up. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to meet with the different business people and try and help them connect with their market place.
Cons
no plan
Productive and fun work environment
Web Consultant Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMarch 30, 2015
Consult with clients and gather information necessary to build a web presence. There are different shifts from early morning to afternoon to suit your lifestyle. All of my co-workers are fun and helpful. Everyone helps each other out.
Productive fun to work
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXApril 30, 2015
Meeting people everyday , developing relationships with current and existing customers. Managing accounts, hard working management. Co-workers getting along with everyone. enjoying getting out and networking with people.
Fun place to work with a good work culture
Content Writer for the US branch of hibu websites (Current Employee) –  Bangalore and USMarch 22, 2015
A typical day at hibu would start at 7:00am IST and end at 5:00pm IST. With a good work culture and good co-workers the day seemed like a walk in the park inspite of multiple challenges.
Pros
early morning shift
Cons
tight deadlines
Churn and burn sales force
Business Development Rep (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, WAOctober 15, 2014
Decent company, good pay, good benefits. Completely unrealistic sales goals for the Seattle area. The Area Manager is great to work for and is there whenever you need. The hardest part of the job is the cold calling and quotas.

Hibu is not great at taking care of their customers. You never talk to the same person twice. Most of my clients have not continued with their services.
Pros
pay, benefits, management
Cons
customer service, quotas, cold calling
Fun place to work, but a sinking ship
Digital Media Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAOctober 9, 2014
Management picks favorites and the company is very mismanaged. They are trying to figure it out, but I think its a bit late. They had some good talent, but as they keep cutting pay and raising expectations, they are losing them faster than they can be replaced. Schedules are flexible, and it is very easy to earn extra time off.
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
the company is on a downward spiral
Excellent training and Managmentent
Telesales Manager (Current Employee) –  GlasgowAugust 19, 2014
Manage team up to 15 sales people
Develop skill set through coaching.
Motivate through understanding the person and setting stretching goals.
Drive performance and drive the team to be successful.
Provide forecasts to senior management.
Create and deploy training events for site and national roll out.
Be commercially aware through foreseeing issues and lulls in performance.
Manager development program to help sales consultants move from telesales to premise/management.
Deputy while in new business attending conference calls, Managing managers, Managing departments and national communication.
Conducting investigations, disciplinary and managing through redundancies.
Standing on Shaky Ground
Account Executive, Multi-Media (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 2, 2014
- Expect to knock on doors and make as many face-to-face contacts with decision makers as possible, and set appointments with them.
- I learned a lot about the different marketing needs of a wide variety of industries and businesses.
- Management wants constant contact and communication.
- I have worked with some of the finest and most professional sales people in the nation that have become life-long friends.
- The hardest part of the job is keeping up with constant change.
- The most enjoyable part of the job is the team building events and contests.
Pros
virtual office
Cons
long hours after 5 p.m, and sometimes weekend appointments
Transforming company with passionate employees
Senior Manager - US Directory Listings (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAAugust 18, 2014
Hibu (originally Yellowbook, inc.) is transforming from primarily a print book business into a digital/web-based model. The past 2-3 years have been challenging in the form of staff reductions and data content removal; but has been necessary to continue to be successful in the future.
The people are focused and passionate about delivering a high-quality product.
Best people I've ever worked with!
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IASeptember 2, 2014
The people I work with there are hands down the best people I've ever worked with. The culture of hibu is great, however unreachable goals, constant cuts in the building, and the growing field of everyone and their brother knowing how to make a "website" has hurt.
Pros
great bosses, at least the ones you'll talk too.
Cons
poor compensation for work put in and constant reminders of yellowbook's past
Magazine
Freelance Photographer (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 5, 2015
This was a non paid freelance position. I enjoyed it very much but was disappointed when they closed the hyperlocal magazines.
great place to work
WEBSITE EDITOR (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IowaMay 14, 2014
A typical day at work was reading what a customer would like to have for a website and then putting together a website that would accurately portray what the customer was looking for. I learned a great deal about copywriting and SEO. The management was fantastic in helping with any questions that may arise. My co-workers were also very helpful. The hardest part of the job was that from day to day you may have to learn on the fly, but this was done with great determination. The most enjoyable part of the job was the great experiences that I took from the overall job.
Pros
come in early on friday and leave early on friday
Cons
no cons
Productive and Hard working environment
Customer service/Accounting clerk (Former Employee) –  Uniondale, NYMay 7, 2014
Prospect new business. Ended year with over $96,000 in new business, 105% to direct mail objective, and 100% to my net gain objective.Managed a high-volume workload, Resolved an average of 520 inquiries in any given week and consistently met performance.
Specialize in creating advertising solutions for local small to medium size business. Solutions include SEO, SEM, direct mail, yellow page ads, online display, websites, Ecommerce, etc...
Great Compensation but a horrible future.
Client Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Westchester, IllinoisMay 2, 2014
Time at hibu has been very fruitful. I was given the tools that I needed to succeed outside of an office, colleagues turned into friends, and some managers into mentors. At this time it just feels like the name of the company is holding everyone back, me included. Though the company is in financial shambles right now, it has turned into the responsibility of the bottom reps to pick it up back on to it's feet and it has become quite the pressure gauge.
Pros
work at your pace, non-micromanaging, great team, compensation
Cons
financial instability, customer service issues, 2x what quota should be

2.5